I worked a 14 hour day yesterday. Needless to say, I’m barely functioning now. Of course, today’s another day filled with meetings upon meetings and tomorrow is filled with the same. I am beyond the point of crashing. Tuesday-Thursdays have now officially become meeting days. Gone are the 10-6 hours I work. I’m so swamped with work, I feel like I’m trapped in some factory line trying to wrap chocolates.
Before I head to my last meeting of the day, here are a few things I’ve learned about myself in the last 48 hours:
1. Gone are the days where I can stay up long hours and be fully functioning the following day.
My mind hasn’t stopped running. Someone seriously needs to mandate afternoon naptimes at the office.
2. I get really cranky without sleep. Petulant Pantrygirl comes out. This morning, the alarm went off and it began. I flailed. I screamed. I cried. I had a temper tantrum. Short of holding my breath and refusing to go to work, I was my 6 year old self without the braids and Wonder Woman underroos.
3. Gone are the days where I can stay up for long hours and not look haggard.
An 80 year old man offered to carry my bulky paperwork up the flight of stairs from the subway. Sure, I can think he was hitting on me or even better, trying to rob me but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t either that lead him to offer his assistance.
4. I can go the whole day with just a cup of yogurt, a venti latte, a pint of water and a stick of Dentyne Ice.
However, in the morning, my stomach had a concave appearance and the dog looked like a rump roast.
And yes, you can be too tired to eat.
5. Even though I’m a techno geek, I hate email, voice mail, instant messenger, intercoms, direct connections and any other communication means. I hate being so attainable. I know the day will come when I’m in the office loo with a Blackberry.